So, what does cooking have to do with Leopold Bloom? I’ll tell you. While he does spend some of episode 4 and 5 in the kitchen cooking liver, that’s not my point. Joyce accentuated the messy, yet vital, parts of life in Ulysses. Taking a shit, taking a bath, eating. Now, I don’t know for sure, but I’m sure that James himself took pleasures in such things.
I also am kind of going on a cooking adventure (or should I say, odyssey?) right now. So I thought I’d share my favorite concoctions. Tonight: Spinach and Basil Polenta.
- a handful of fresh basil
- a handful of baby spinach
- a clove of garlic
- 5 slices of polenta
- olive oil
- rosemary and oregano
- mozzarella cheese (optional)
1. Chop the garlic and saute it in a pan with olive oil. Add the polenta and saute that until it is a rich gold color.
2. Season the polenta with rosemary and oregano.
3. Add the spinach and basil leaves to the pan whole. Keep the dish on the burner until the leaves are wilted and a bright great. Garnish with mozzarella cheese if desired.